Jeff Purvis

Up Bush History Purvis photos Crate Racing Cup History Purvis Stories


Jeff Purvis

E-mail  your favorite Jeff Purvis story, (200 words or less) and we'll publish it at Purvis stories!
    Click here for the " stories that are coming in!


Aug 7, 2009 --  CARTERSVILLE, GA – National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee and former NASCAR star Jeff Purvis of Clarksville, TN will be the special guest of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series when they visit Mountain Raceway Park in Maryville, TN on Saturday night, August 15 for Round 15 of the National Tour with a 50-lap $3,000-to-win race.

                 Purvis will meet and greet the Mountain Raceway Park race fans with a special autograph and photo session from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday night, August 15.  There will also be Jeff Purvis collectables available during the session.  Purvis raced at the track several times during the 1980s when the track was known as Smoky Mountain Speedway.

                 During the 1980s, Purvis was one of dirt late model racing’s brightest stars winning the prestigious World 100 race at the famed Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, OH three times, along with two NDRA National Championships and the 1986 Southern All-Star Dirt Late Model National Championship.

                 Purvis turned to the asphalt racing surfaces in the 1990s, winning the All-American 400 at the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway a record three times and a pair of ARCA Daytona International Speedway wins.  Purvis also began a NASCAR career that yielded four wins on the Nationwide Tour.

                 In 1999, Purvis had a desire to return to dirt track racing and that began a working relationship and a long-lasting friendship with the Founder and Director of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, Mike Vaughn.  It was Vaughn who provided Purvis a car to race at the 1999 Hav-A-Tampa Dirt Late Model Series season opener in Brunswick, GA, his first dirt track race in ten years.

                 Purvis still had his NASCAR career going, but dirt track racing still brought Purvis national notoriety.  In 2001 on the first ballot, Purvis was inducted into the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame.

                 A life-threatening crash in 2002 during a NASCAR race at Nazareth, PA all but ended Purvis’ NASCAR career.  After a three-year recovery from a broken neck, Purvis and Vaughn ended up together again with a new and innovative motorsports project.

 GM Performance Parts had developed a new and affordable “Crate” engine for dirt late models that was built and sealed at the factory to prohibit any expensive modifications.  Purvis and Vaughn liked the idea and Purvis encouraged Vaughn to start a new series in 2005 that has become the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series.

Purvis returned to dirt late model racing full-time in 2005 with the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series and finished sixth in the National point standings.  Purvis was once a title contender in 2006, but another crash landed him in the hospital for a second time with a life-threatening neck fracture.

The difference between this crash and the 2002 crash were the difference between day and night, and brought an eye opening outlook on life for Purvis.  He was by himself strapped in a race car in the 2002 crash.  In 2006, he was traveling to a race at Talladega Short Track in the race team’s hauler with his family when it blew a front tire, crashed and burned to the ground.

While his family and crew members did not suffer life-threatening injuries, Purvis was injured while he was trying to pull his son Clay out of the bunk over the top of the cab during the crash.  During his fight for life at Vanderbilt Hospital for the second time in his life, Purvis decided he needed to concentrate more on providing for his family.

After he was released from the hospital, Purvis returned home to Clarksville, TN to recover from his injuries and tend to his successful business, Queen City Metals.  He has not raced since the 2006 highway accident.

“Jeff Purvis has always been my hero in racing, and it has been an honor to have him drive my race car and to compete in my series,” Vaughn said.  “I know Jeff is looking forward to coming to Mountain Raceway Park on August 15 because he still has a lot of fans and friends in East Tennessee.  A lot of the drivers in the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series today miss competing with Jeff because they were able to learn so much just being on the same track with him.”  

Oct 27,2007--Jeff and Margo Purvis got one of the biggest surprises of the evening at the annual signature Gala for he American Cancer Associations annual fund raiser. They were name jointly as the William O. Beach Montgomery County Citizen of the Year Award. Presented annually since 1992, the award has honored such singular community servants as Ben Kimbrough, Fred Landiss, Gene Washer and Charles Hand.
      They have been huge volunteeres with the Jaycees, the public schools, the DARE program, Project Playhouse, Camp Rainbow, The Humane Society and many other community organizations. In addition they have been one of the driving forces by raising money for Cancer research.
       A stunned Jeff and Margo Purvis came forward to accept the first ever William O. Beach Award presented to a pair of recipients.
       "We honestly do not deserve it," Jeff Purvis said. "Everything we do we do because we love the community. I'm still a little confused — Margo and I were both on the (award) nominating committee."
        Jeff Purvis explained he and Margo had gone over the nominations of many other deserving people, arguing over who should take the award for 2007. Margo Purvis said to be named the winner along with her husband was a shock.
         "This is the closest I've come to crying in a long time," Jeff Purvis said. "I do appreciate the award. Thank you."


May 13, 2007--Busch and Nextel teams have thrown out the line hoping to lure Jeff Purvis back to the hard surface. "I don't need to do that again," he said. "I sure would like to race again, but I know better." Purvis is spending most of his continuing to build Queen City Metals, What driving he does in on heavy equipment moving steel and crushed cars around the salvage business lots.

Feb 15, 2007--
Jeff Purvis says he is not entered in any late model dirt races in March or for the rest of the year. "I don't know where that came from," he said. "But I'll assure you I'm not racing." Purvis will participate in a Cancer Charity event in 
Loxley, Ala. on March 16-17. People will bid to ride with him several laps around the track in a two-seat late model car to raise money for the Cancer Association. Jeff's father has Cancer.

Feb. 9, 2007--After a highway accident six months ago left him seriously injured, National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee Jeff Purvis is now back to his day-to-day routine running his scrap metal business in Clarksville.  He is preparing to drive a race car again, but his attitude is different.


                Purvis is recovering from a broken neck for the second time in four years.  The first neck injury occurred during a NASCAR Busch Grand National event at Nazareth, PA in 2002.  This second injury occurred on August 5, 2006 while Purvis, his crew, and members of his family were traveling to a Dirt Late Model Series race in Eastaboga, AL.


                “It’s one thing to wreck in a race car when no one is with you, but it’s another thing to wreck when your family is with you,” Purvis said.  “It really makes you think about where your priorities are in life.  It’s like if I wasn’t racing, maybe we wouldn’t have been in that situation at that time.”


                Purvis was by himself when he had his near-fatal wreck in a race car at Nazareth, PA.  It was a wreck Purvis said he has no recollection of, or the entire weekend around it.  It was a wreck that took him over two years to recover from.  The highway wreck was different.  Purvis can recall every detail of what occurred inside the transporter during the wreck.


                “The wreck probably took eight seconds to happen from start to finish,” Purvis said.  “But it seemed like minutes.  Time seemed to slow down, and to totally describe what happened could take hours.”


                Purvis, his wife Margo, his 16-year-old son Clay, his crew chief Matt Angel, Angel’s brother Rocky, and crew member Ben Britt were riding in the race team’s toterhome, a semi tractor with living quarters attached, that was pulling the race team’s trailer loaded with the race car, spare parts, and equipment.  They were traveling southbound on I-65 near Cullman, AL.


                “Margo and I were sitting on the couch, Ben was sitting at the table across from us, Clay was sleeping in the bunk above the cab of the truck, Matt was driving, and Rocky was to his right in the passenger seat,” Purvis said.  “Ben had just got up to get a bottle of water out of the refrigerator when I heard the tire blow.  I immediately knew it was a left front because the hauler immediately veered to the left and into the median strip.”


                While it was Jeff Purvis the racer that immediately knew what the problem was due to his experience and instinct, in the next split second, all of that changed.  The fate of Jeff Purvis and those around him were now in God’s hands.  They were now passengers of fate.


                Fate doesn’t care that you’re in the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame.  Fate doesn’t care how many World 100s you’ve won.  Fate doesn’t care how many NASCAR races you’ve won.  Jeff Purvis couldn’t get out of this wreck with a quick jerk of the steering wheel, or a quick jab of the brakes. 


                There was only one thing Jeff Purvis wanted to do, and knew he had to do at this time.  Fate had caused the racer instincts – with all of the fame and success – to leave, and for the most important instinct Jeff Purvis had to take over.  Jeff Purvis’ instincts as a father took over.


                “I knew I had to get Clay out of the bunk over the cab of the truck because if the truck got upside down, that would not be a good place to be,” Purvis said.  “He was asleep when everything started, and we were all yelling for him to get out of there.  I jumped up, went for the front of the truck, and lifted my arms up to pull him out.”


                Purvis said at that instant, things got worse, as the truck and trailer hit the side of a crossover culvert in the median strip.


                “When we hit the culvert, the truck made a sudden stop, and Ben, who was behind me at the refrigerator, came flying forward,” Purvis said.  “When he hit me, I broke my back, but him hitting me prevented him from going straight through the windshield.  After we hit the culvert, the truck started going up and it was real quiet.”


                This is another situation an experienced race car driver knows.  When you’re going up and it gets quiet, you know you’ve left the ground and you’re airborne.


                “I was still trying to get Clay out of the bunk even though we were airborne, and even though my back was broken,” Purvis said.  “About the time we landed in the northbound lane of the interstate, we simultaneously hit a northbound car and the guardrail.  That was a big hit, and that was when I broke my neck.”


                The thing that Purvis feared, the truck getting upside down, was beginning to happen, as the hauler got up on its side after hitting, and going through the guardrail.


                “I was still trying to get Clay, and we were on our side,” Purvis recalled.  “I remember looking over at Margo, who was pinned against the side of the toterhome.  She asked me if it was over, but I knew we were still carrying a lot of speed.  I told her no, and it was about then that we started hitting trees.”


                The big rig had hit a culvert, another vehicle, and a steel guard rail, but was still moving.  Purvis said the trees were no match for the rig.


                “The trees stopped the rig pretty quickly, and the last movement I remember was when the truck rolled back down on its wheels because that’s when I knew I was hurt,” Purvis said.  “When the track landed on its wheels, Clay rolled out of the bunk on his own.  It was about then the rig caught fire.”


                Purvis said Matt Angel began helping everyone out of the rig in quick order.  Purvis was the most seriously injured person in the wreck with a broken neck, broken back, and a bad cut on his head.  With the truck on fire, there was no time to strap Purvis to a backboard to immobilize his body to protect his injuries.


                “There were trees and branches everywhere inside the toterhome, and it looked like a tornado went through there,” Purvis said.  “The pain I felt when I jumped from the truck to the ground was pretty intense.  Someone had stopped with a travel trailer, and they got me in there where I could lay down until the medics got there.”


                All of the occupants in the rig escaped with their lives, but the rig, and all of its contents, including the race car and the equipment, were totally destroyed and burned to the ground.


                It’s been six months since that fateful day, and Purvis said Margo, Clay, Matt, Rocky, and Ben have all recovered from their injuries.  As for himself, Purvis said he feels the after effects everyday, but he’s O.K. with that.


                “I’m doing pretty good, but I’m sore everyday,” Purvis said.  “I’m just glad to feel it because it could have been a lot worse.  I’m still here, I go to work everyday, and I’m very thankful that everyone else is O.K.”


                Purvis has lots of fans, and the number one question they ask is whether or not Purvis will race again.  Purvis said this is also a question he has asked himself during the last six months.  In the last six months, Purvis has had a lot of time to reflect on his life, his family, and his career.


                “When you go through what I went through with my family riding down that interstate, racing doesn’t seem that important,” Purvis said.  “After it happened, I blamed myself for putting them in that position, and if I wasn’t going to a race, we might not have been there.  I’m still able to come to the scrap yard, and run it.  That’s what puts food on our table, and clothes on our back.”


                Even though Purvis has put more emphasis on his business, there is still a big place in his heart for racing, not just in his heart, but now Clay has been bitten by the racing bug.


                “I still love racing, and I still want to drive a race car again,” Purvis said.  “But I think my priorities about racing are changing because Clay now wants to race,” Purvis said.  “I’ve told him I’ll help him as long as he realizes his priorities are here working with me at the scrap yard.  This will be his someday, and I want him to take an interest in it.  As long as he comes here to work, I’ll help him with his racing.”


                Purvis said he is going to prepare a crate late model for Clay to drive in Weekly Racing Series competition during the 2007 season.


                As for himself driving a race car, Purvis said he will climb behind the wheel of a dirt late model again in March, and said he is going to take someone with him.


                “The Dirt Late Model Series Director Mike Vaughn asked me to drive their two-seat dirt late model at Deep South Speedway in Loxley, AL on March 16-17 to benefit the American Cancer Society,” Purvis said.  “These are two things I really believe in, and I think it’s pretty neat that when I drive a race car again, I can take somebody with me to share the experience.”


                Purvis was one of Vaughn’s biggest supporters when the latter began the Dirt Late Model Series in 2005 when it was called Crate Racin’ USA.  Purvis finished sixth in the 2005 point standings, and was seventh in the 2006 point standings at the time of his accident.


                “The Dirt Late Model Series and affordable crate late model engines have come along just at the right time,” Purvis said.  “Super Late Model racing was becoming too expensive for the average weekly racer, and that’s where drivers come from to race nationally.  I started out as a weekly racer, and if I had to start racing now, there is no way I could do it with the engines as expensive as they are.  I believe in the Dirt Late Model Series and what it is trying to accomplish in the industry.”


                There is also a very special place in the heart of Jeff Purvis for the American Cancer Society, and its cause.


                “My wife Margo is Vice President of the American Cancer Society Chapter here in Clarksville, and we’re both very active in this cause,” Purvis said.  “All of the money they collect goes to research in trying to find a cure for cancer.  I want to cure it.  I’m no doctor or scientist, so they’ll have to find it, but if I can play a role to help them, I’m more than happy to do it.  I’m thankful that I have the ability to do something that can raise money.”


                Fans will be able to bid for rides with Purvis in the special two-seat dirt late model at Deep South Speedway in Loxley, AL on March 16-17.


                “Although we hated that Jeff, his family and his crew were involved in the highway accident, we’re happy that everyone is O.K., and that Jeff is ready to get back behind the wheel of a race car again,” Vaughn said.  “We have always been appreciative of Jeff’s support of the Dirt Late Model Series, and we’re happy Jeff has decided to join us in an effort to raise money for the American Cancer Society.  We’re also looking forward to working with Jeff in launching Clay’s racing career this season.”


                While the after effects of what happened to Jeff Purvis on August 5, 2006 are still felt by him when he gets up in the morning, it has also given him reason to be thankful for his family, his friends, and his fans.


                “I hurt when I get up in the morning, but it hurts so good because I’m still alive to feel it,” Purvis said.  “I thank God that I’m still alive, Margo and Clay are still alive, and Matt, Rocky and Ben are still alive.  I am also very thankful for all of the friends and race fans that checked on me, and have asked about me over the past six months.  There have been thousands of visits, phone calls, E-mails, cards, letters, and Internet responses from all over the world.  We are so thankful for each and every one of them.”


                As far as racing goes, even though he will drive again in the two-seater charity runs and help his son Clay launch his career, the question still remains whether or not Jeff Purvis will race competitively again.  According to Purvis, it’s not as much of a priority as it used to be.


                “After what me and my family went through in the wreck, I’m so thankful that we’re still alive, and I can come to work and provide for them,” Purvis said.  “I have a good and successful business that can provide for my family and give Clay a good future, and that’s the main priority.  I still love racing, but after the wreck it’s just not as important as it used to be.  I’d like to race competitively again because I wasn’t hurt on the track this time, and if the time and place is right, I might do it again, but right now, there is no plan to do so.”


                Jeff Purvis is still alive thanks to God’s grace.  He is still alive to provide for his family, and to contribute in the fight to cure cancer.  In everything that has happened to Jeff Purvis since 2002, should he ever be called by God to become an Evangelist, what a testimony God has given him to share with others.


Jan 4, 07--Jeff Purvis said he would not be racing at the Ice Bowl in the Crate Late Model series set for Jan 6, 7 in Talladega, Ala.

"Don't count anything out," he said of his future racing career, "but right night I don't even have a pair of racing shoes. I just don't have any plans other than trying to collect scrap metal."

Purvis is part owner of Queen City Metals, a Clarksville, Tenn. business that collects scrap metal from companies across Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky.

Purvis hasn't raced since the accident in which his race car hauler was involved late last Summer.

Oct. 22, 06--Jeff Purvis is not fully recovered, but he is much better. "I'm feeling a lot better he said from work Friday. There are still some aches and pains, but part of that is the fact that I'm getting older. I'm not 100 percent back, but I'm 85." Purvis is working every day, doing some traveling and working on some charity events. He is also developing a new strategy for his company which will be announced Nov. 1. As far as racing, he hints he might be back on dirt next year. He still has a car in his race shop. One think is for sure, he's homesick for the track. "I really miss it," he said. " Every weekend I miss it a lot."

Sept. 7, 06-
Jeff Purvis is home in Clarksville, Tenn. And it is up in the air whether he will race again. "Maybe I'll retire like you," he said.. But you know racers. Once they get well, they may change their minds.  He is still sore but in good spirits, cracking jokes and talking about how lucky he and his family are. "The worst think," he says, "I the pain between my shoulder blades. My sternum is about well. But It feels like someone hit me in the back with a sledge hammer."

Of the accident, he said: "Every time I thought that truck had stopped, it hit something and there was a big thump."  He, his wife Margo, his crew chief Matt Angel, other crew members of his crew and son Clay were in an accident  near Cullman, Ala. The crash occurred when Purvis' race  car hauler  blew a left front tire, crossed the median and collided  with a northbound Vehicle at milepost 295. They were on their way to a regional race. Jeff visited the same doctor who attended him after his near fatal racing accident in Pennsylvania several years ago. They were on the way to Talladega where he was to have raced Aug. 5.

July 20, 06--Jeff Purvis will competed at the Clarksville Speedway Wednesday night.

July 2--Jeff Purvis finished 4th in the Series at Thunderhill Raceway in Lawrenceburg, Tenn. He qualified 14th. That moved Purivs, who has had three straight top five finishes, to 8th in the points for the series. Qualifying for the 75-lap, $7,500 event in Clarksville begins July 3. The feature will be July 4th.

July 1--Jeff Purvis finished 5th after qualifying 7th at Duck River in Wheel, Tenn. "We actually ran pretty well," he said. " But we broke everything that could be broken." The No. 15 Storm car lost a right rear brake caliber during the heat races. " We got it put back together just before the feature," Purvis said. " We ran the features on two brakes. The series moved to  Thunderhill Raceway in Lawrenceburg, Tenn. July 2 and then to Clarksville StormPay.Com Speedway Monday and Tuesday for a 75-lap, $7,500 event.

May 27--
Jeff Purvis won the
Robert Martin Attorney At Law Pole Award and went on to finish fourth in the Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Saturday night in Clarksville. The 50-lap $3,000-to-win race was a Salute To The Armed Forces.  Purvis set fast time among the 30 entrants with a lap around the ¼-mile clay oval in 13.500 seconds, and then when on to win the CPR/ Lightning Quick 6 Dash to earn the pole position. The next event for the Dirt Late Model Series National Tour will be a two-day, $5,000-to-win show at Swinging Bridge Raceway in Jackson, MS on June 9-10.

May 26th--Clarksville's Jeff Purvis finished 5th at the Clarksville Speedway Wednesday night, 6th at Duck River in Shelbyville Thursday and wil compete at the ThunderHill Speedway in Lawrenceburg, Tn, Friday night before returning to his home Clarksville track for a Saturday night event.

 April 28-- Weekly Racing Series track I-77 Speedway in Chester, SC is preparing for two big shows with the sanctioning body, one for the Weekly Racing Series, and the other for the Dirt Late Model Series National Tour. Clarksville's Jeff Purvis will be in that event.

April 16th
--CAMDEN, TN - National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee Jeff Purvis of Clarksville, TN took a break from his Dirt Late Model Series National Tour schedule to win the season opener for the Weekly Racing Series Division at Camden Speedway on Friday night. Purvis led all 20 laps to win the $700 top prize in his Warrior/604.

Camden Speedway is the latest weekly dirt track to sign up for the Weekly Racing Series in which Crate Late Model competitors will compete not only for track points, but also regional and national points against drivers at other Weekly Racing Series tracks.

Purvis then returned to his home Track at the Clarksville Speedway and finished third.


Jeff Purvis, who has return to dirt track racing,  left plenty of history for his fans when he retired form NASCAR and Busch Racing. After an accident which almost killed him , Purvis got back behind the wheel two years later to pilot to Phoenix Racing’s No. 1 Yellow Transportation Dodge . There were his first competitive laps since he was injured at Nazareth Speedway. He said the most difficult thing was “having the eyes of the racing world focus on me. Everyone was looking at me and wondering, ‘when is he going to screw up’.”

Purvis says racing is like having learned to ride a bicycle. Once you do it you can do it again.  And Purvis didn’t screw up! He started the Goulds Pumps ITT Industries 200 in the 26th position and brought the Yellow Transportation Dodge home in the 17th position, the last car on the lead lap--a very solid performance. 

Purvis'  chance through the long-time friendship of James Finch and the Phoenix Racing team came after years of racing against Finch and for him on dirt.

“Jeff is a big part of Phoenix Racing history," said Finch. "We won a lot of dirt track races (more than 350) together. And it was Jeff who gave me my first wins in ARCA (Automobile Racing Club of America) and the Busch Series."

It’s was a long hard journey back for Purvis, who became emotional in a post race interview as he thanked his family and friends for all of their support over the last two years.   

On lap 166 at Nazareth, Purvis’s car “let go” in turn one in its own oil after it blew an engine and the car, owned by Brewco Motorsports, hit the outside wall hard and came to rest in the middle of the track.  There it was hit again by Greg Biffle who lost control of his Roush Racing Ford when his tires ran through the oil left behind from Purvis’ engine.  Both drivers were knocked unconscious and transported to local hospitals, but Biffle was shortly released.  Purvis however, suffered a closed head injury, broken vertebrae in his neck and a broken left leg. He wore a halo for several months as part of his recovery.

Purvis's Timberwolf No. 37 will be a part of part of the Beasley Sports Gallery, at Clarksville's Custom House Museum. The exhibit will also contain many artifacts of famous Clarksville athletes including three-time gold medal Olympian Wilma Rudolph, Professional golfer Mason Rudolph and Austin Peay basketball player Fly Williams. The Purvis exhibit will be by far the largest and will feature the Clarence Brewer owned car. It was one of the cars that Purvis drove in his final year on the Busch circuit. The exhibit will also include a lot of items from different points in Purvis dirt, NASCAR and Busch Series career.

(click for Busch history )   

He posted more than 350 wins on dirt which included three national championships before he moved to the Busch and Winston Club series.          

"I really don't remember my first win," he said. "I know it must have been at the Clarksville Speedway. The way we came up with the 350 wins on dirt was that Clay and Thomas (his two sons) counted trophies one day. We found 267 first place trophies. Then we figured about how any early races I competed in and then averaged out the wins each year to get to 350. Early on, they didn't give trophies, and then I got so many small ones that we had to throw some away to make way for the 267 that I kept at that time."

Dayton and Talladega are two of Purvis' favorite tracks. He liked the high speeds and the feel of the car as it cut through the wind on the high banks at speeds near 200 miles per hour. In the 90s, driving for James Finch, the headlines in the Daytona paper cried out, Jeff Purvis, fastest man in Daytona. He sat on the pole that year in his Busch Car and qualified in the top 10 in his Winston Cup car. During practices he had posted the fastest times in both divisions."

"Jeff was a big part of Phoenix Racing history," Finch says. "We won the World 300 three times, and with a little confidence, we switched to short track asphalt racing. We’re still the only three-time winner of the All-American 400 in Nashville. We’ve also won the Superspeedway Championship in the ARCA Series (Automobile Racing Club of America) three times. Jeff and I were together for about 12 years until we finally decided to go our separate ways in the Busch series."

Purvis won three ARCA Superspeedway races in 1993 along with three poles and came back in 1994 to become the first ARCA driver to win three Superspeedway races in consecutive seasons.

In the 80s Finch had a car in a national championship dirt race when he noticed the talent of a kid named Jeff Purvis, who finished second. Finch recruited Purvis. Together, they went on to win about 350 dirt track races before hitting the asphalt.

While Purvis moved on to race for Joe Gibbs Racing in the #18 Pontiac, Finch and Purvis still continue their relationship. In 2001, Purvis ran both Talladega (Ala.) and Daytona (Fla.) Winston Cup races in a Phoenix Racing car.

Photo left is of Jeff's youngest son, Clay (left), and Gene Washer's youngest son, Ben, in front of Washer's race trailer. To the right they cheer with Titans flame hats.

"In 1996, we went down to Daytona with five employees and sat on the pole for the ARCA race, won the ARCA race, sat on the pole for the Busch race, qualified for the Daytona 500 and were running 12th on the lead lap," Finch said. It was his proudest moment in racing. "You just can’t do that anymore," he said. Purvis was in the Busch and Cup car.

Purvis remembers it well too. In fact the Busch car he put on the pole is now painted black and dons the No. 3 for the Monster Racing School at the Nashville, Tenn. Speedway.

Jeff's win 1.jpg (189663 bytes)  Purvis New Poster email.jpg (150803 bytes)  

Jeff's NASCAR Page